Skip to main content

Welcome to PhD Mastermind

PhD Mastermind is
the place to connect with like minded PhD students, recent graduated, postdocs, early career academics and the experienced PhDs and discuss anything PhD. Why pursue a PhD degree, what does it mean to you, what challenges do you face, every days interactions with colleagues, networking, meeting deadlines, presenting results, career development, job hunting hurdles, living and working abroad, balancing PhD and private lives, and more.

What Is A Mastermind Group?
Napoleon Hill’s "Think and Grow Rich" describes a mastermind group as "the coordination of knowledge and effort of two or more people, who work toward a definite purpose, in the spirit of harmony". Simply put, it is multiple people striving for a common purpose.

What Are The Benefits of a Mastermind Group? (by Sid Savara)
Mutual support
I like to form groups around a specific activity, but even with differing goals you’ll be able to lean on each other for support. Many times when my progress has slowed on a specific goal, the members of my mastermind are the only people who really understand what has been going on behind the scenes, and give me support in spite of my failed efforts.

Differing perspectives
Hearing the different views my fellow mastermind participants have allows me to see issues I wouldn’t otherwise become aware of – in my life, and in my approach to my goals. Whether I agree with their assessment or not, it always gives me a better understanding of how I can better improve my approach.

Resources
Everyone in your group will have access to a different skillset and network of people. I’ve often found that when I ask for help in my mastermind groups, these resources help me make progress in ways I never could by myself.

Accountability
My fellow group members hold me accountable to goals I set. In addition, just knowing that I have a regularly scheduled meeting internally drives me to make progress – because I don’t want to be the only person reporting back that I haven’t made an effort to move my projects forward.

How does it work? 
As soon as we gather enough enthusiasts, we will announce the dates, times, and communication means. This group would meet on-line and events would be regional. We envision one event per month per region. You can join any event that fits your schedule. Everybody joining an event would present a mini-topic for discussion and brainstorming. These events are usually high paced, therefore you'd be asked to submit your topic along with your RSVP. Events are 1-2 hour long depending on number of participants and topics. You would leave an event with answers and more ideas that you came with.

 Looking forward to PhD Masterminding with you!

Comments